What is a vBulletin Forum?
A vBulletin forum refers to an internet forum application created by Jelsoft Enterprises and vBulletin Solutions for you to use in building and designing your forum pages. It is usually written in PHP scripting language and utilizes MySQL database.
Presently, they have been able to develop the version vBulletin 5 Connect, which has, among others, enhanced forum functionality for a more engaging online social discussion, real-time updates and comprehensive messaging hubs.
What is the purpose of forums?
Forums are a great way of connecting with your website customers and visitors. It provides you with a venue to have an active interaction with them. You can engage them into community discussions, where you can get feedbacks, comments, opinions and suggestions.
You can also take advantage of forums indirectly. It can be an effective marketing tool. Remember that passive viewers are also able to see and read community discussions and messaging hubs, where they can pick up salient information about your online products and could probably pass it on to those interested in it.
Plus, forums contain words, which could provide your keywords for search engine applications. So you just let everybody say their piece, and then your SEO applications will do the rest.
iPage supports vBulletin application
If you are worried that iPage has no vBulletin application, then worry not. The good news is that its web hosting plan can accommodate vBulletin application.
So you can take advantage of vBulletin’s key features with iPage web hosting. These include:
- Built-in softwares for the creation of discussion forums, polls and surveys and blog sites.
- Posts, which support BB Code in post and HTML in post. It has WYSIWYG standard editors, and allows you to attach pictures and images, monitor the number of users and conduct polls and surveys.
- User management capabilities, which permit an unlimited number of users. It is compatible with SSL and can verify your emails. It also complies with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) of 1998.
- Member profile pages containing their name, birthday, occupation, hobbies, etc., which can be accessed only by co-members and where they can share pictures, do messaging, note who is online and a lot more.
- Private forums, which includes private messaging, prior permission basis by members and registration requirements.
- Global ignore user application, which will ‘ignore’ the posts and messages of a particular user. Meaning, other members can enable this in order not to view his posts and messages.
In essence, you will now enjoy a top-notch forum application in vBulletin. With its re-architected vBulletin 5 Connect version, it has step up its capabilities to provide you with convenient tools for site management and customization, content discovery, social discussions, sharing of photos and videos and integration with mobile devices.
Setting it up with iPage
To set up and install in your iPage hosting account, just follow this simple steps:
- For a forum creation only, upload vBulletin application in the public _html. Then the URL forum will become http://www.yourdomainname.com.
- If you want the forum to be just a part of your website, then put the vBulletin application in the subfolder. The URL forum will become http://www.subdomain.yourdomainname.com.
- Then proceed with the creation of the MySQL database by filling up the details required in the textboxes.
Learn to control spams in your vBulletin forums
To maximize the use and performance of your vBulletin forums, learn to minimize the intrusions of spam mails into its system. Always monitor your website users to evaluate their intentions in joining the forums, and integrate email verification applications to help you weed it out.
Remember that spams, if not contained, can use up your resources, which, in turn, can slow down your website applications.